Monday, 28 April 2014

Off Centre Log Cabin tutorial

Here is a tutorial for a quick and easy Log Cabin block.  It is off centre which means you can play around with the layout and look of it.   The lovely ladies in the Hipbee Quilting bee each made a block for me which I can put together into my very own quilt ( once I get some navy sashing fabric).  

It should look something like this when finished!


To make one of these blocks do the following : 



CUT the following from fabric:

A = 2 inch square

B = 2 inch square

C = 2 X 3.5 inch rectangle


D = 2 X 3.5 inch rec


E = 2 X 5 inch rec


F = 2 X 5 inch rec 


G = 2 X 6.5 inch rec


H = 2 X 6.5 inch rec

I = 2 X 8 inch rec


j = 2 X 8 inch rec


K = 2 X 9.5 inch rec


L = 2 X 9.5 inch rec


M = 2 X 11 inch rec


N = 2 X 11 inch rec


O = 2 X 12.5 inch rec  




Quick tip! - I wrote each letter for each strip on the back of them with a Frixion pen. ( N.B. This does iron off).






Sew strips together using a SCANT 1/4" seam allowance in the sequence below.
Press seams to the side or open as you go along.
Finished block size - Approx 12 1/2" square.


These blocks can then be rotated in different directions for a more random quilt layout.  Each block in the layout above has a navy border added to create the floating effect.
Collette x



1 comment:

  1. I love these blocks and think your quilt is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments on blogs so please feel free to talk away!